This post is all about how to bleach a jean jacket and bling it with a rhinestone fringe
DIY Denim Jacket Ideas
Ready to upgrade your denim game with a DIY bleached jacket with rhinestone fringe that's sure to turn heads?
By the end of this article, you'll know exactly how to create your own custom denim jacket that's anything but ordinary. From bleaching to adding the perfect touch of bling, I've got you covered.
So gather your supplies, get ready to roll up your sleeves, and let's get started!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means if you purchase through them, I can receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. You can read the full disclosure here.
Bleached Jean Jacket Materials
Let's get into the nitty-gritty of what you'll need to fade a denim jacket. Here are the materials:
A Bucket or Plastic Container
This will be used to mix your bleach solution in. But, you'll be happy to know that an empty plastic drawer will work just as well for this project!
To protect your hands from the bleach solution you can wear some cute plastic gloves.
● Non-slip Grip
● Soft Flocked Liners
The main ingredient for achieving the perfect faded effect when you want your denim to look a few shades lighter than its original color.
● Cleaning Clothes
● Fresh Scent Products
But hey, maybe you already have the perfect tone of denim and don't need to fade your jacket. That's totally fine!
You can skip the bleach and go straight to grab the other fun stuff.
Bedazzled Fringe Jacket Materials: What You Need to Get Started
A Denim Jacket
This the canvas for your masterpiece and here are two ways to get started:
1- Pick up an old one from your closet or thrift store. It's a great way to give new life to a piece that you may have otherwise tossed aside.
2- If you're planning to create these bedazzled fringe jackets to sell on platforms like Etsy, you can find super cute and inexpensive options from Amazon or wholesale dealers like these:
- Fabric has no stretch
- Long sleeve, frayed hem, button down, wash denim jackets, with pockets
- Fit for everyday dressing, for summer
- Also read: How to price your handmade products -
What is The Best Glue for Rhinestones on Denim?
You'll need a strong adhesive like E6000 glue to ensure that your bling stays in place for the long haul.
Another brand I like to use is Gem-Tac, although I don't find it as strong as E6000. The great thing about Gem-Tac is that it's non-toxic, making it a great option if you're working in a space with limited ventilation.
Syringe and precision tips
I also recommend using a syringe and a precision tip for that clean and professional look when applying the glue! Trust me, your bedazzled denim jacket will thank you.
● Great for Flat Back Rhinestone Applications
● Also great for E600, B7000, wood adhesive, and more!
The main character to add some sparkle and personality to your jacket. This is where you can get creative and choose the length and style that speaks to you.
Let's face it, rhinestone fringe jackets are absolutely stunning. However, after spending some time scrolling through brides.com, I realized that there are so many other types of fringe that can create unique and beautiful looks.
5 Other Types of Fringe Trims
If you're considering starting a bridal jacket business after making one of these beauties, you'll definitely want to check out these other ideas!
The soft, delicate pearls can add a touch of sophistication and femininity that is hard to resist
This type of fringe adds a touch of western flair and gives your jacket a unique and playful look. Plus, the softness of suede creates a cozy and comfortable feel that you'll love.
They're super lightweight and flowy, and they move around in the most mesmerizing way. They'll give your jacket that extra touch of playfulness and fun that'll make you stand out from the crowd.
If you're going for a boho vibe, you'll definitely want to check out these knotted fringe trims. This type of fringe gives off a free-spirited and relaxed feel that's perfect for casual, laid-back outfits.
How to Bleach a Denim Jacket
To bleach a denim jacket, you'll need to mix water with bleach, submerge your jacket, and wait for the magic to happen. In this process, you'll need to ensure that your jacket is fully submerged in the solution, and you'll need to move it around periodically to ensure even distribution.
I'm going to summarize the process and some tips, but if you want to get a more in-depth look, you can also find a minute-by-minute video tutorial below.
- Fill a plastic drawer or container with enough water to cover the jacket completely.
- Add 2 cups or 16 ounces of bleach to the water.
- Submerge the jacket in the water and use mason jars or weights to keep it fully immersed.
- Set a timer for 2 hours and let the bleach work its magic.
- After the timer is up, move the jacket around to ensure even soaking.
- If you want to lighten the denim even more, repeat steps 4 and 5 - I did it for a total of 3 more rounds (8 hour process).
- Once you're satisfied with the level of lightness, drain the water.
- Throw the jacket in the washer by itself to get rid of any remaining bleach and give it a fresh, clean finish.
- Dry the jacket and enjoy the lighter shade!
How Much Bleach to Water to Fade Jeans?
A general rule of thumb is to mix one part bleach to ten parts water, and it's always best to start with a weaker solution and gradually increase the strength if necessary. But let's be real, I just eyeballed it, keeping those proportions in mind, and used 2 cups of bleach for the amount of water in my container.
How Long Does It Take For Bleach to Bleach Denim?
Well, it could be anywhere from 30 minutes to 10 hours or even more! It really depends on factors such as the original color of your denim, and how light you want your denim to be. Just make sure to keep an eye on your denim while it's bleaching so you don't accidentally overdo it. In my case, I let my denim soak for a total of 8 hours to get the perfect shade of blue.
Do You Use Hot or Cold Water to Bleach Denim?
You can use either hot or cold water to bleach denim - it's up to you! Just keep in mind that the water temperature can impact how quickly and deeply the bleach works its magic. If you want a fast and intense result, go hot! But if you're into a more gradual, subtle lightening effect, cold water is the way to go.
Will Denim Turn White If You Bleach It?
Bleaching denim can definitely give it a lighter color, but it's not a guarantee that it'll turn into a snow-white wonder. The amount of change depends on things like the strength of the bleach, how long you leave it on, and the original color and type of denim. So, if you're ready to lighten things up, go ahead and give it a try - just know that the results can vary!
DIY Fringe Jacket
Alright, let's kick it up a notch and add some serious bling to our denim jacket!
We've bleached it to perfection and now it's ready for some sparkle. In this second part of the tutorial, we'll be adding a rhinestone fringe to the jacket to give it that extra "wow" factor.
If rhinestones aren't your thing, as I mentioned in the supplies section, there are plenty of other cute fringe trims you can use to customize your jacket to your liking.
Bling Fringe Denim Jacket Process
Here are the steps to add the rhinestone fringe to your denim jacket:
- Fill the syringe with glue and attach the precision tip.
- Place a firm object, like a cardboard box, under the area you will be working on.
- Apply a line of glue along the seam lines of the jacket.
- Carefully place the rhinestone fringe on top of the glue, starting at the edges and aligning it in the middle.
- Press down on the fringe with your fingers to ensure it is aligned and in contact with the glue.
- Add as many rhinestones as you'd like to the sides, measuring the length of the other pieces of fringe and repeating the process.
- Wait for the glue to dry completely. If you're using Gem-Tac, it will turn from white to invisible when dry.
- Girl, it's time to show off that bling fringe! Try on your newly decorated denim jacket and slay the day with your dazzling style.
- If you want to add some more sparkle to your outfit, you might want to check out these cute rhinestone fringe denim shorts or these DIY bling Converse shoes!
DIY Bleached Denim Jacket with Rhinestone Fringe Video Tutorial
Prefer to watch instead of read? Sit back, relax, and let me show you how to turn a plain denim jacket into a fierce and fabulous statement piece with some bleach and bling.
This video tutorial will have you strutting your stuff in no time, so grab some popcorn and get ready to be entertained while you learn!
How Do You Keep Rhinestones From Falling Off Clothes?
Glad you asked! The last thing you want is for your rhinestone fringe to go rogue and start falling off your jacket like a disco ball gone wild. After the glue dries out you can also get thread and needle to secure everything with a couple stitches.
And, here are a few more tips to keep those sparklers in place:
- Wash by hand: Avoid throwing your jacket in the washing machine, as the agitation can loosen the rhinestones. Instead, gently wash it by hand with a mild detergent.
- Avoid the dryer: Excessive heat can cause the glue to weaken, so air-drying is your best bet.
- Handle with care: While rhinestones are certainly dazzling, they're also delicate. Be gentle when handling your jacket to avoid pulling the trim down or causing the rhinestones to come loose.
Follow these simple tips, and your DIY denim jacket with rhinestone fringe will keep shining bright like a diamond!
Final Touches for Your DIY Rhinestone Fringe Denim Jacket.
And that's how you transform a boring dark denim jacket into a stunning, blinged-out masterpiece! But why stop there?
If you want to make your jacket even more personal, check out these Iron-on Letter Patches with rhinestones and pearls.
You can spell out your name or initials to show off your style on an everyday basis, or get creative with words like "wifey" or "bride" for a bridal shower or bachelorette party.
You could even sport your new last name on the back with something like "Mrs. LastName". The possibilities are endless, so let your imagination run wild!
● Delicate and Exquisite
● Many Ways to Use
I hope this tutorial has been helpful and has inspired you to add some fun and sparkle to your wardrobe.
Remember, the magic of turning the invisible into visible lies in your hands and with just a few simple steps, you can transform a plain denim jacket into a statement piece that is uniquely you.
So go ahead and give it a try, letting your creativity shine!